We have 9 legislative days left and we need your help to make it to the finish line. Please stay tuned for more action opportunities.
Highlights from last week:
- Unfortunately, the Auto Stay bill (S.105) passed out of the House Judiciary Subcommittee after being amended to remove the compromises reached in the Senate. Essentially, they made a bad bill even worse. See my update below for more action this week.
- The committee meeting on the dam safety reform bill (H.3218) was canceled last week. We need to keep up the pressure if we hope to see any progress this year in the Senate.
- The Senate Labor, Commerce, and Industry (LCI) Committee voted to move the House version of the Nuisance bill (H.3653) straight to the Senate floor last week (bypassing the committee process). We have slowed the bill down, but please encourage your Senators to oppose the Nuisance bills.
The Week Ahead:
- Auto Stay Action - S.105 — the bill that will weaken the Automatic Stay – will be taken up the full House Judiciary Committee for approval on Tuesday at 2:30 (or 1.5 hours after adjournment, whichever is later). Please keep up the pressure and contact your Representative and ask them to oppose this bill.
- The Poultry Pollution Bill, H.3929, will have another subcommittee hearing on Tuesday, April 25, at 2:30pm. There should be a balance between poultry farmers and the neighbors who may be impacted by their operation that results from robust discussions and public participation. This bill, however, tries to make it more difficult for members of the public to engage in the permitting process for poultry and other animal operations.
- Breaking the Logjam on Dam Safety and Solar Property Tax – Both bills have yet to receive hearings in their respective chambers. We need your help to get legislators to take action before they run out of time.
Please visit our Legislative Action Center for opportunities to contact your legislators about these bills and others.